Nose Piercing

Nose piercing is the piercing of the skin or cartilage which forms any part of the nose, normally for the purpose of wearing jewelry. The Hindu women usually have their noses pierced at the age of sixteen which is what is considered to be the age to marry. The piercings honor the goddess of marriage, known as Parvathi.

According to the Indian medicine, the female who get her nose pierced is assumed to experience less pains while delivering the child. The reason behind this belief is, through the piercing some vein is pressed that makes the childbirth easier.

Nose Ring

A piece of stead-like ornament worn by women in their nose, commonly known as nose-ring and nose stead. (known as Mukkuthi or Mookuthi in Tamil & Kannada and Nath in Hindi) Nose ring are usually worn in the left nostril. The reason that the left side is chosen more often is because it is linked with the female reproductive organs.The custom to wear this ornamental jewel is typically different from one state to other, one caste to other and even different amongst communities. Some use it in their left nose, some at right and few wear it in both sides of their nose. Nose stud is widely worn in South India, especially in Tamil Nadu and in parts of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka, by both married and unmarried young women.

It is strongly believed that the nose ornaments have their own scientific advantages. By piercing the nose to wear these ornaments the women protect themselves from all nasal infections. It also helps her to have a stronger sense of smell. Call it acupuncture treatment.

In some parts of India the nose ring is never removed once a woman is married, and thus a nose ring is often considered to be a sign of marriage.

All said and done for the Indian woman who wishes to look beautiful in the traditional fashion, her shringar is never complete without the wearing of a sparkling nose ornament.

13 comments:

  1. Throughout my life I always found the nose ring to be something special with respect to looking beautiful but I never understood the reason behind why it was worn. Suddenly after years of living I google'd about why hindu women wear nose pierce and after reading the above I am motivated to do this myself. I am Bengali by birth but in my family not many lady elders have a nose pierce but maybe I can explain the reason and get a trend going in our families :-D
    Papia Roy, Cardiff, South Wales, UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    This s deepak. Young ladies pl get ur nose pierced in ur right side...It looks cute if sometimes if u guys like it get ur left side also pierced...But after completion of ur 40 age...

    deepakrajagopalan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. well well. you must be 12 years of age. what makes you think that any WOMAN would actually listen to you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want one but my mom wont let me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am from telangana. i have always found wearing nose jewelry to be v attractive. it completes a traditional look. apart from being beautiful it is v sexy also. i got my wife pierced after the marriage. its like a 100 viargas for me in sex always ending both of us in satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very nice ornament.l like it

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is nice ornament
    http://fashionartificialjewellery.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  8. i also like to get my pierced.but my mom is not allowing me...plz tell some tips to convince my mom bcz i really like to get my nose pierced.its a long year wishes of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i also like to get my pierced.but my mom is not allowing me...plz tell some tips to convince my mom bcz i really like to get my nose pierced.its a long year wishes of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i also like to get my pierced.but my mom is not allowing me...plz tell some tips to convince my mom bcz i really like to get my nose pierced.its a long year wishes of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i also like to get my pierced.but my mom is not allowing me...plz tell some tips to convince my mom bcz i really like to get my nose pierced.its a long year wishes of mine.

    ReplyDelete

write your e-mail address below....